Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gatespotting...you just have to try it!

Perhaps it’s the lack of regular tourist “attractions” or social entertainment…but I have recently developed a rather strange liking for a new past-time: gatespotting. 

Ehhh, shinu?

What? 

In Sudan front entrances are typically marked by colourful, metal gates, bordering on the kitsch.

They feature an assortment of designs from flowers to birds, vines, hearts and other abstract shapes.

And there’s no doubt about it, the Sudanese are definitely gate proud. The general rule seems to be the louder the better.

In fact, I’ve yet to find an identical design…and trust me I’ve looked at quite a lot of gates.

They make for an incongruous splash of colour amidst the mud-brick houses of Ed Damer, which seem to have sprouted out of the brown, flat, dusty landscape.

These days I’ve developed the habit of getting off the bus a couple of stops early or detouring on my walk home from work just to discover new designs.

It’s also been a good way of discovering new corners of the neighbourhood, not to mention amusing the locals, who are not exactly in the habit of going out for a stroll just for the sake of it.

I practice my pidgeon Arabic with the curious kids who sometimes follow me, while turbaned men on depressed looking donkeys wave as I pass.

Everyone always asks where I am going. They can’t believe that I am just wandering without an actual destination in mind.

Could this new past-time take off or do I just have too much time on my hands? *Discuss*

In any case…here’s a selection of my discoveries…















Home sweet home... and the best gate of all! ;p




No comments:

Post a Comment