Friday, September 28, 2012

Otherwise known as ...

After hearing a number of postal horror stories from people during this last year in Italy, I had been quite preoccupied over the fate of my own passport after sending it off to London to have my Sudanese visa processed.

So, you can imagine the huge wave of relief I felt when I heard the buzzer ring late this afternoon. There, sure enough, was a rather harried looking courier asking me to sign. “Kate McIntosh?” He asked three times, while becoming increasingly impatient while I ducked inside to press the buzzer and open the gate. 

Inside the parcel I found my passport, a photocopied map of Khartoum and Sudan, as well as an introduction DVD. 

I flicked open my passport to find a rather simple pale green visa inside. It was mainly handwritten, with some official Arabic stamps and lettering. 

My Sudanese visa
I was slightly in awe at first. I never imagined I’d have a Sudanese visa in my passport after all. Looking at it I also started to feel the nervous flip-flop of butterflies in my stomach, which actually seemed more like elephants than butterflies. 

Having the visa inside my passport gave a sort of finality to my decision, as well as the sense that there was really no backing out now.

After inspecting the visa more closely, however, I noticed my handwritten name had been misspelt and instead read “Kate McInlash”. Well, I don’t suppose it will make a difference in the end and it certainly brought some levity to the situation...

No comments:

Post a Comment