Friday, January 18, 2013

No Perfume for Single Ladies!


As the bottle I bought with me to Sudan is running low, I recently asked some colleagues if they could recommend me some traditional perfumes of the local variety.

Some disapproving head shaking ensued, followed by a hurried discussion in Arabic.

Perfume is only for married women, I was informed – and even then only for special occasions.

Apparently wearing perfume when unmarried, the ladies explained, sent the wrong signals and made it difficult for men to control their “strict urges”.

Dabbing on a bit of perfume in the mornings remains almost my sole concession to any beauty regime since moving to Sudan, so I was surprised to discover that I may have been inadvertently sending out alluring signals all this time.

And while I’m still not sure what actually defines “strict urges”, I reckon it's probably best not to find out!

Out of curiousity I also asked my colleagues about fragrant oils, my thinking being that these generally have a more subtle scent and hence might be more acceptable, but no, these are also reserved for married women.

By way of consolation the deputy headmistress offered to make me some traditional Sudanese perfumes on my wedding day.

Society here demands a strict code of etiquette between the sexes, with marriage deeply steeped in traditions and cultural protocols, so it’s not entirely surprising I guess that perfume falls within this bracket.

The second helpful piece of advice I recently received on potential Sudanese beauty errors concerned jeans.

I was recently helping a teacher prepare lunch when her younger, newly-married sister arrived for an unannounced visit.

As Gihan lamented her post-baby body while frying potatoes over the stove, her younger sister rather unsympathetically observed: “My sister fat”.

Some lighthearted banter subsequently ensued between the sisters about who was the weightier of the two.

Unexpectedly her younger sister suddenly turned to me and hoiked up her black abaya to reveal skinny jeans and a modern white t-shirt with lots of bling.

It took me a moment to reconcile this new modern appearance with the covered woman of just a moment ago.

Holding her abaya aloft she strode across the room and stood next to her sister, “OK, who is the more fat? Me or my sister?” she demanded.

For a moment I was lost for words and even with all my acrobatic attempts at diplomacy, she continued to press, insisting I tell her on a scale of one to 10 who was “more fat”.

Sudanese love to complete with each other in all aspects of life and I am frequently asked to provide a running comparative scorecard on anything from teaching ability, English levels and appearance. 

Distracted momentarily from the matter at hand, my friend's younger sister went on to explain that jeans can be problematic for women in Sudan and that’s why she covers up with the modest black dress. 

“Do you wear jeans,” she asked.

At this point I paused, trying to gauge the levels of any potential shock I might cause if I was honest and told her that I regularly wore jeans in public at home.

In the end I told her yes, but not in Sudan.

This seemed to satisfy them as they both nodded their heads rigorously in agreement.

“Jeans big problem in Sudan.

“If you wear jeans here,” she said gesturing outside to the souq (market), “men won’t leave you to rest.

“They will chase you down the street.”

                                                      Perfume’s out, henna’s in!

Henna designs on the feet and hands may be a sign of a married woman here in Sudan, but unlike perfumes the tradition is not entirely off-limits to unmarried ladies.

To celebrate special occasions, namely other people’s weddings, single girls may also decorate their hands with feminine, attractive designs.

A teacher friend recently invited me to her neighbour’s henna party. Significantly the bride-to-be’s hands and feet will be marked for the first time with the distinctive patterns of a married woman.

This ladies-only event - known as El-hinna, is the loose equivalent of the hen’s night and friends and family celebrate by dancing, singing, clicking their fingers and wailing loudly in joy.

Shortly after I arrived for the event, my friend informed me I was going to have my hands hennaed.

It’s not a short process and after the design is completed, you must remain still for some hours with your arms suspended while the henna dries.

After the dried top layer is removed with water and soap before rubbing the skin with oil.

The elegant black lines curving across my hand and stretching up my forearm are - if nothing else - visually arresting.

Waiting for the henna to dry ... slowly
But I still don’t know what to think about my new arm art. I keep looking down and stretching my hands out in front of me, wondering if they really do belong to me.

Is it beautiful or too much? I can’t decide.

I’ve come to the conclusion that beauty is often adapted and defined not just by culture, but by our environment. 

I’m sure if I hung out in downtown Coolangatta with hennaed hands like this people would probably think it was a bit much.

Just like the Sudanese would think a typical outfit for a Friday night out on the Gold Coast is a bit much.

But although henna might be a more acceptable beauty practice, I have to wonder if it’s any less alluring than perfume. 

In the end, I guess it’s a matter of opinion.




5 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog, I enjoyed it so much.
    Please keep posting. You will find a story in Sudan around every corner and from anybody.
    Greeting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I appreciate you comment. It's true, everyday brings new and interesting experiences and discoveries. I don't have time to write them all down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sudanese Hanna its very famous and demand ,wanted in arab world especially in gulf do not miss it do not forget to take some when u go back only the good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading, its interesting to see Sudan through the eyes of a foreigner ..
    however, the people you hang with might have represented their family culture and value rather than Sudan's culture.
    I am Sudanese ,lived in Sudan , I wore jeans and perfumes almost everyday! and never wore abaya, and I don't even know anyone in my network who would leave the house in an abaya ! and believe me I do have a wide network, you must know how social sudanese are :) anyway keep the posts coming , I did enjoy reading.

    Raghdan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate ...
    Sorry that you have been misunderstood & misled about the use of perfumesin Sudan. ...
    I can assure you that you have not been sending the wrong signals .. Single Sudanese men and women .. Do wear perfumes regularly ... At least more than once or twice a day .. Thanks to the weather. ...
    Use of perfumes .. Essential oils & Incense in Sudan .. Goes a long way back in history .. In fact Sudanese think perfumes a necessity .. Never an accessory nor a luxury ... As a matter of a fact perfumery in general .. Is one of the best profitable trades in Sudan. ....
    Maybe because specifically you've asked for the traditional Sudanese perfume "Kumra" ... As it is strictly used by married women only. ...
    For the first year or so .. A bride may use it regularly along with the "Dukan" Sudanese sauna .. henna and Sandalwood incense .. In order to tell that she is married ..
    Public use remain strictly for women's happy events and gatherings .. The use during sad occasions or mourning periods .. Is definitely not acceptable .. And to some is absolutely prohibited .. As it is considered the scent of happiness leisure and pleasure. ......
    Since you have been to Sudan .. Of course you know intimacy & sexual affairs are not spoken about at least openly .. Out of politeness .. And the fact that it is extremely considered a private matter .. There for when a woman wear it .. They are actually announcing their desires for their partners. ...
    "Kumra" is actually Homemade of a mixture of wide variety of brand names fragrances and essential oils: Fleurs d'Amour by Roger & Gallet .. Soir de Paris .. Glamour & Ramage by Bourjois - paris .. Reve D'or by L.T.Piver .. Bint El Sudan by Bush Boake Allen ... Along with pure frist class sandal oil & natural musk and some other local material ...
    Sudanese women are in a habit .. Of keeping the very first formula .. That's made for their weddings .. And keep topping it .. I think doing so gives them a sence of pride .. Of course the longer its keep .. The more mellowed & mature it get. ......
    Although a lot of modifying is taking place nowadays by adding different essential oils .. And .. new fragrances .. only to give it more personalized scent .. But .. The original modern formula is been the same since 1920. ......

    All in all .. The Sudanese traditional perfume .. Is very expensive .. And it Can Consume up to a quarter to a third of the wedding expenses. ...

    ReplyDelete