Thursday, November 1, 2012

Advice from a Sudanese Grandfather



One night during Eid celebrations I was sitting with the other volunteers under the moonlight chatting after a meal, when Rami suddenly said he wanted to tell us all a story about his late grandfather.

So, here goes:

One day when I was a bout 14 or 15 I was walking to the market with my grandfather. My grandfather, you know he was very wise man. He always said to me 'be positive - even in a bad situation, the most important thing is to be positive...


'And be honest with people. It's enough'.


Anyway, while we were walking that day to the market, I realised I had forgotten something back at home.


I told my grandfather that I would go back to the house, but to wait for me there and I'll be back in 10 minutes. My grandfather was eager to get to the market, so he was impatient with me, but I promised, 'just 10 minutes and then I'll be back'.

So my grandfather took his donkey and sat down underneath a tree. 

But when I got back to my house my grandmother had made a big bowl of fuul (Sudanese stewed beans).

You know, I was hungry, so I sat down to eat something, but then afterwards I was tired and I fell asleep.

When I woke up I realised I'm going to be really late. I take a donkey and I ride, fast, fast as I can, but when I arrive at the market I see that my grandfather's small stall is still closed and I remember where I left him.

I turn around and go back to the place and I see my grandfather. He had been waiting under the same tree with his donkey for six hours.

When he sees me, he says: 'Rami, be a man. Keep your promises'.

That's it, that's all he says and he starts to walk home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment